There was one thing though that I really wanted to have as part of the viz and that was better labeling. I didn't want the label to show '17 whole'. I set out to find how I could add more of a narrative. A quick google search led me to a post on the forum which after a couple of tries, yielded almost the result I was looking for. One other point is that I wanted the viz to be readable on mobile, since that's how I consume a lot of stuff. So here's the before and after.
- I should do this more often. I prioritize other things (work, momming, & fitness) above vizzing. So taking a time out when I 'just do the work' is nice.
- Five vizzes that aren't really gonna wow the world still took me over 12 hours with the rest of the stuff I had to do. There's a reason why I don't do weekly vizzes.
- Because I focused on production, not perfection, I was more open to using chart types I don't normally use (looking at you, tree map).
- I loved learning about a way to do a calculated field to blend text and a data item! So even if the vizzes aren't award winning, this challenge is a win in my books!